Saturday, February 7, 2009

"Duuuurrr Duuuurrrrrn: I am Iron Man"

I played by myself pretty much over that year. I eventually started playing with some friends from high school. Gary Mauck and John Shober. If there were others in that basement I apologize for not remembering. I have some big holes in my memory. I remember that we all used to get together at John's house. We probably snuck in some beer (underage, I know. I wasn't an angel). We played Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin and tried to play along with it. I still had my friend's father's guitar.

Techie aside here: I found out years later that this guitar was some Japanese body with a vintage Fender Mustang neck on it. The neck had such a cool feel but because the neck and body weren't matched the intonation was completely out of whack past the 5th fret. It shounded like absolute poo poo. I eventually sold that guitar to Donny Preston whom I met in automotive shop at Howard County Vocational Technical School. I hope he had fun with it.

There was more comaradarie than musicianship going on in that basement. We hung out and traded licks. It was really cool to see how the blues box fit into these songs. We all had copies of various guitar magazines and shared and traded. It was a very good time. Not really a band, just some friends. I hope you're all doing well.

No comments:

Post a Comment